Saturday 5 January 2013

Denial...Don't Leave Home Without It.

For those of you who know me, it it not unusual for me have a new injury.  The way I see this, I am so active something is bound to get in my way, like a boulder grabbing my finger.  Who knew boulders were so vicious and mean spirited?  Injuries are a friend,   I am Kalamity Kathi and proud of it.  You know the scope of stories, you don't know this one. Yes, not in our backyard, yes..in Kenya. I have to travel across the world, I have run out of challenging disasters at home.

First were the Safari Ants.  These carnivorous little buggers eat flesh.  Me, standing still, too long, in the Savannahs, the ants hunt human flesh, this I am convinced of.  They crawl up your pant legs and dine. The only way to rid them, is to kill them.  Once they attach their jaws on your skin, one of you has to die and it isn't me, not today.  I am proud to say I have invented the "Elephant Pepper Ant Dance".  Quite amusing, especially with ones pants dropped at ankle level with 3 men watching.

Then there was the flash storm at 4am, our high caliber lodge leaked and I slipped rescuing our luggage.  The details are not important, it's the power of denial that shines through here. I had to make a swift decision to either come home or continue our journey.  My husband, now proficient in years of medical procedures, stitched me up and held my hand, in a bloody cold shower (no ice at 4am).  I am in complete denial.  There was no 'incident'.  Repeat this Kath, there was no incident.

For the remainder of our journey he would ask me, once a day, and once a day only at my request, "Everything good?".  I would stoically answer, "I'm, good".   Strangely enough, being in denial has its merits.  Our brains can concentrate on one major thought at a time. I focus on our journey.  Game drives, sundowners and copious amounts drugs. Don't leave home without denial or superior pain killers, they make dandy companions. 


Enjoy my video of this Marsh Pride, my name for these cats who really disliked crossing water.  They were on a hunt for a warthog.  The warthog lived to see another day.

I dedicated this blog to Donna, for teaching me the power of denial.




 

No comments: